I used to bake these muffins for my late grand mother who passed away recently. She was diabetic and this recipe came recommended by her doctor.
1 cup of brown sugar
60ml canola oil
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 grated apples
1 cup Jungle oat bran pressed down
2 cups Kelloggs All Bran flakes
15ml bicarbonate of soda
5ml vanilla essence
500ml low fat milk
- Beat together eggs, sugar and oil.
- Add all the dry ingredients, grated apples and sultanas.
- Mix thouroughly
- Mix the milk and vanilla and add to the flour mixture.
- Stir until well blended.
- Leave overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to bake, stir and drip into muffin pans
- Bake at 180C for 15 minutes.
If you do not want to bake the batter immediately you cannot freeze the batter, but it can be kept up to 30 days in the fridge.
Baked muffins freeze well.
Baking Tip: use an ice cream scoop to fill your muffin molds.
Despite all the oat bran and the bran these muffins have been loaded as much as possible without sacrificing the texture. It still tuned out to be an immediate carbohydrate. It is the flour that does this, NOT THE SUGAR. Even if we have the sugar, the GI does not come down.
Nutrients per muffin
GI immediate 58
In loving memory of Ma Doreen.
Follow me on Twitter
Check out my Instagram